I make an explicit distinction between inertial mass and
gravitational mass.

Lets call them m' for inertial mass and m~ for gravitational mass.

If a is an acceleration due to an inertial force,
and g is the acceleration due to gravity, then

weight = (m~)(g)

inertial force = (m')(a)

See my illustration for the conjectured dependence of m~
on speed.

http://web.ncf.ca/eo200/dynamics/testing_weightNOV2006.pdf

Now m' is not suppose to decrease with horizontal speed.
If m~ decreases with horizontal speed then m' is different
from m~.

Harry