Michael Foster wrote:

> Hello Fred,
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the setup you describe is a self-charging
> assymetrical capacitor, an electric dipole. The end of the dipole closest
> to the earth will be more strongly attracted to it, resulting in an apparent
> weight gain. The long separation between the Van de Graaff electrode and
> foil at the base would make the effect most pronounced.

Yes. What I really want is a Sphere within a Sphere or Cylinder within a
Cylinder
(or combinations thereof) using the VDG to transfer electrons
from the inner sphere or cylinder (where I can work safely in a field-free
region)
to the outer sphere or cylinder, to ascertain a force against the
Earth's Megacoulomb Charge without building up an attracting
image charge:

http://www.nofc.forestry.ca/fire/faq_lightning_e.php#one

"The Earth is electrically charged and acts as a spherical capacitor. The Earth
has a net negative charge of about a million coulombs, while an equal and
positive charge resides in the atmosphere."

Buehler experiments:

http://www.space-mixing-theory.com/article2.pdf

invariably got an upward force on capacitors in air, regardless of
sign of single plates or parallel plate capacitors, but,
got null results in a Faraday cage, others also got null
results in a vacuum, which begs the question, was there a heretofore
unmeasured force between the cage or vacuum system
and the earth?

Spending big bucks on wild theories helps the economy, Michael.  :-)

Fred