--- "Stephen A. Lawrence"  wrote:

> As you pointed out, the diesel develops quite a bit
of torque at low RPMs, which is useful in a
conventional engine/transmission arrangement.  It's
irrelevant, however, if you're using a
motor/generator/wheel-motor arrangement.

Not really. You absolutely need to compress air to a
high ratio, and turbines are terribly inefficient for
that, especially in the smaller sizes. In contrast,
the torque of a diesel can drive an efficient scroll
or Roots compressor to supply pressurized air for
fully double the efficiency of a small turbine (like
the Allison) and one tenth the cost of all those
investment-cast blades.

This is a major consideration ! as pressurized-air is
the #1 major loss-item for small turbine design.

> And if you want maximum power per pound from your
motor... What's the diesel doing for you?  It cools
and pressure-reduces the exhaust a lot in the course
of spinning itself.  What's the point?

The diesel-turbine-hybrid, which I am describing has
two gigantic advantages over the pure turbine for
smaller output engines. And remember this general
point - pressure - and only pressure drives any
turbine and high heat is needed ONLY for complete
combustion - although admittedly the relationship with
between heat and pressure is linear in THAT engine
design only (pure turbine).

The cooler exhaust of the diesel-hybrid, as mentioned,
can be reheated using some air-bleed from the
supercharger and some very small amount of added fuel,
so that "lower heat" is a really a non-issue anyway
... BUT ... in the hybrid you will not need
superalloys, as with a pure turbine, nor will you need
the 2400 degree F. heat, in order to get a complete
burn.

Because the diesel operates at high compression ratios
which are **unobtainable** with any practical turbine,
you get complete fuel combustion but at far lower
effective temperature and *complete burn* is what it
is this (maximum efficiency) is all about.

Plus -- pure turbines are not *scalable* downward
without major losses in efficiency. And even if this
hybrid is not as light in weight as a pure turbine, it
is still a third the weight of a normal ICE like the
Prius, when producing the same power. Thus the title
of the post (referring to the power law) - which
title, once again got lost in cyberspace.

...even Toyota acknowledges that they would use a
smaller engine except for "marketing concerns" (the
consumer thinks that they need to have "reserve power"
available, even if it is seldom used. go figure.)

Jones