Hi Fred,
[snip]
>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.skeptic/tree/browse_frm/month/1990-08/6f8e760842199985?rnum=11&hl=en&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fsci.skeptic%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1990-08%3Fhl%3Den%26
>
>" The problem with the amount of energy per gram of radioactive material
>implied by the 1989 Peripheral Systems Annual Report is on page 4.  It
>says that 70 watts of electricity was produced from 1 gram of strontium-90
>and 50,000 watts from 2 lbs of stuff (55 watts/gram).  This is far above
>the amount of energy available in the radiation.  Here are my calculations
>which have been checked by 3 different Nuclear engineers (two point out
>that I should really use only 0.535 Mev/decay since the energy in a
>neutrino can not be used, but even with this generosity Brown is way off):
>
>Specific activity of Sr-90: 139 curies/gram
>Curie:                      3.7e10 decays/sec
>Max energy per decay:       2.8 MeV/decay
>Energy equality:            1 MeV = 1.6e-13 joules
>Power:                      1 joule/sec = 1 watt
>
>A good source for the above is "CRC - Handbook for Radioactive Nuclides"

While it's possible that it was all a fraud, or a mistake, it's also possible
that Brown had a means of accelerating nuclear decay which he improperly
understood, and therefore couldn't engineer into a commercial product.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/

Competition provides the motivation,