Back on 6/20/06, after I had baldly asserted that "magnetic fields do no work", George Holz wrote, regarding the fields of permanent magnets,

The currents are almost entirely  electron spin dipoles aligned
within in changing domains which reorient to aid the applied field.

And I responded, regarding the energy gained by such a dipole as moves due to the force on it from a nonuniform magnetic field,

Where'd the energy come from?  I have no idea.

And after that I said nothing much at all about magnetic motors or permanent magnets for a good long time.

Since then I've given it some thought and I finally worked through a classical (non-quantum, just magnetostatics) analysis of the forces and torques on a dipole, which I put on a web page. The upshot is that, for a permanent dipole in a nonuniform but fixed magnetic field, the forces are conservative (and, _yes_, the magnetic field certainly does "do work" on the dipole). The page is here:

http://www.physicsinsights.org/force_on_dipole_1.html

and the conclusion that the forces are conservative is found here:

http://www.physicsinsights.org/force_on_dipole_1.html#conservative

For electromagnets, as opposed to permanent (spin) dipoles, the force is due to q(E+vxB) and the work done comes from the currents. There's more to be said about that, however, and I will be writing up a companion page on electromagnetic dipoles and their interactions with each other and with permanent dipoles, in which I'll also say a little more about the consequences of the force on a permanent dipole being conservative.

The upshot is that magnetic motors which gain energy from permanent magnets do, indeed, violate the classical model of magnetism. So, before you invest a lot of money in such a device, you should give some thought to how accurate you think the classical models of magnets and magnetostatics really are.