(GMT-05:00):
Hi,
[snip]
>Robin van Spaandonk writes:
>
>>>That is not true. If the RO process is 40 times more efficient than MSF (as
>>>it was in some situations, in some locations), then even though 60% of the
>>>heat used to generate the electricity is wasted, the overall efficiency is
>>>still far ahead of MSF. This is similar to the use of heat pumps instead of
>>>gas fired furnaces for space heating.
>>
>>No it isn't. The energy cost for MSF can be essentially zero, when attached
>>to a
>>thermal power plant, because that heat is normally thrown away anyway.
>
>Ah, I see your point. However, RO might be a good choice in areas served by
>wind power or nuclear power, especially at night.

Yes, as long as there is an energy surplus, and a water shortage, there can be a
place for RO. However if plug in hybrids become widely used, then the disparity
in power usage between day and night may largely disappear.

BTW Shuaiba's design specs. are 150 GL / annum from a 780 MW power plant. If we
assume that the power plant is operational 365 days a year (best case), then it
produces about 22 L of water in addition to the production of every kWh of
energy. Based on my consumption of electricity, this would also easily supply my
water needs.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk