+0000:
Hi Charlie,
[snip]
>My recent post on particle accelerators was only to
>express the view that a particle beam could carry more
>momentum than 1 / 2 mc^2. I want that design compartment
>to be thoroughly accepted.

It carries more momentum as a consequence of increased relativistic mass, which
comes from energy imparted to the beam. However I think the momentum transfer
would be even greater if that energy had been radiated directly rather than
imparted to the particle beam. However it may not make much difference for a
particle beam traveling at nearly light speed anyway, and acceleration of a
particle beam may be technically easier to achieve.
[snip]

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/