> A rocket supplied with energy beamed from a space power
> transmitter should get as much momentum reaction from its
> fuel mass as possible so relativistic beams are suitable
> here if the accelerator is very light. The power
> transmitter can send out relativistic particle beams
> rather than light.

It may work but if power is to be beamed from a power station then light seems
better to me. Install a powerful laser source on the Moon and point it to the
ship's solar sail. Same thing on Mars for the return trip.

Or maybe an array of station-based solar reflectors pointed at the sail, the
good old Archimedes way, would work too.

This kind of stuff has probably been thoroughly researched already.

Michel