Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

 > Paul wrote:
 >> Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
 >> [snip]
 >>  >  > They attract until they are perfectly
aligned NS
 >> NS.
 >>  >
 >>  > When they're aligned
 >>  >
 >>  >   N
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   S
 >>  >   N
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   |
 >>  >   S
 >>  >
 >>  > they can flip (rotate) so that they're aligned
 >>  >
 >>  >   NS
 >>  >   ||
 >>  >   ||
 >>  >   ||
 >>  >   ||
 >>  >   SN
 >>

 >> Sure if you ***add*** energy Stephen.  That takes
 >> energy. I have written far too many simulations to
know.  I have seen
 >> physical grids of
 >> permanent magnets on swivels and you are
completely wrong on this.
 >> Magnet dipole moments
 >> prefer NS....NS.
 >
 > Really??  Sigh....
 >
 > That's what I get for relying on intuition.

It seems intuition is probably the most important tool
in theoretical research.  Einstein
spent his entire life trying to find an intuitive
theory. :-)  A good process seems to be
intuition followed by theory followed by
experimentation.

 > I certainly had not done
 > any calculations to show which way they should end
up -- the potential
 > energy and force calculations by themselves don't
say.  And we don't
 > have any sufficiently whizzy bar magnets here to
let me test it
 > macroscopically.  (But see below in this note --
uh, oh, it sure looks
 > like you're right...)

There you go again with your cigarette dipoles. ;-)
Who knows, perhaps the cigarette is
the true shape of the electron, but I doubt it.  QM
claims the electron has no physic
extend beyond the Poynting vector.

 >  > BTW, your drawings of
 >> dipoles are way out of proportion.  You are
drawing cigarettes.  An
 >> electron is not in the
 >> shape of a cigarette, lol.
 >
 > Well, yeah, they're kind of stubby, aren't they.
Not quite like a bar
 > magnet, not at all...
 >

 >>  > It increases versus a single magnet, that's
true. But compared with
 >>  > two distant magnets?  I'm not so sure; we need
 >> ask:
 >>
 >> No, the net magnetic field increases from two
nearby
 >> fully aligned magnets as compared to if they were
far apart.

 >>  > Does the field increase or decrease as they're
 >> drawn apart along a
 >>  > line?
 >>
 >> More of the fields overlap as they approach each
other
 >> in fully alignment.
 >
 > So it appears.  And certainly the result is far
larger field energy than
 > the half-aligned case, however it may compare with
the case where
 > they're far apart.

Here's perhaps a simple method of viewing the issue.
Consider two loops of current
carrying wire in free space.  Consider the fact the
dipoles will slowly dissipate their
energy by means of radiation resistance; i.e., dipole
KE gained is lost over time.
Ultimately the wires will end up side by side, like
two donuts hugging each other.
Remember currents flowing in the same direction
attract.  All the current carrying wire
cares about is getting as close to the other wire as
possible.  The closest orientation is
face to face, thus nearly forming one wire loop.

 >>  > [ snip ]
 >>  >
 >>  >  > Two aligned electromagnets do not repel.
They
 >>  >  > *attract*.
 >>  >
 >>  > Arrgh.  We're both right.  If they're
end-to-end
 >> they attract when
 >>  > they're aligned.  If they're side by side they
 >> attract when they're
 >>  > misaligned.
 >>
 >> Correct, but what you seem to miss is the front
 >> magnetic density is twice as compared to the
sides,

 > Ummm hmmmm so it is, the field strength ratio at
the end versus the side
 > is something like 2:1, and, if the dipole is
allowed to align with the
 > field, the net force it feels is always in the
direction of increasing
 > field strength.

For a point charge it is.  Of course if for example
the dipole is 1 cm in diameter and
you're testing the field right up against the wire
millimeters away then it doesn't make
sense you'll get 2:1 ratio.  Did you try to field
dipole moment calculator?
http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopcalculator.htm

Regards,
Paul Lowrance