Hi,
[snip]
>Interesting, can you provide the exact formula, and what are the absolute
>dielectric constant and the breakdown voltage strength (max V/m) for barium
>titanate?

The exact formula is derived from the capacitance formulas for a flat plate
capacitor, and the energy stored in a capacitor.

The energy density works out to 1/2 x epsilon x (breakdown voltage/unit
distance)^2. (This assumes that the absolute breakdown voltage is linear with
thickness, which is the best case scenario according to
 http://www.wrightcap.com/ceramic-capacitors-material-spec.html .

For Barium titanate I find figures of dielectric strength = 34 kV/cm and
dielectric constant of 7200 @
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/jecr/2005/00000015/00000002/00001460

which yields an energy density of 368 J/L. The EEStor crowd claim to have
material with a dielectric constant of 18000 (according to recent news IIRC),
and from the patent:

"These coating materials have exceptional high voltage breakdown and when coated
onto the above material will increase the breakdown voltage of ceramics
comprised of the coated particles from 3.times.10.sup.6 V/cm of the uncoated
basis material to around 5.times.10.sup.6 V/cm or higher."

So for the uncoated basis material they claim 3E6 V/cm (about 100 times higher
than from the other report here above - if I read correctly ?!? - I suspect this
should be 3E6 V/m).

Thus we get two different energy densities, depending on whether or not there is
a typo.

1) 7.17 MJ/L
2) 717 J/L

Somehow, I suspect the latter is more likely to be correct.

BTW they actually claim a breakdown strength of "5E6 V/cm", for their composite
design, so once again assuming this should be 5E6 V/m we would get a purported
energy density of 1992 J/L, or 19.92 MJ/L if the voltage claim is correct.

BTW I seem to remember them claiming 52 kWh for a 100 lb device. If we assume a
density of 2.7 gm/mL (about average for ceramics) then this works out to 11 MJ/L
(not too far removed from (1) here above), so it seems they have either
discovered a substance with a breakdown voltage strength a hundred times higher
than air, or they have fallen victim to their own typo.

BTW2 Try calculating the energy density of an electrolytic cap. for the fun of
it. :)

In short, I think I would be betting on the Li ion batteries. ;)