I just realized how complex a cut off device is, a fuse, I mean they might
want something more complex than that but if there is a blackout or brownout
the power being supplied by the grid is ziltch or has dropped which means
only your device is powering all those homes which will mean increased
current draw, so a fuse will do, at least until there are so many homes
putting power in that a blackout is no longer detectable, but then you may
ask who needs to fix the grid if the lights are all still on.