thomas malloy wrote:

and Jed Rothwell replied;

I doubt very much that the Sun is putting out more energy, but if it is we could easily fix the problem by spreading large Mylar parasols in space. This calls for a space elevator, but the prospects for an elevator are better than ever. It is now estimated to cost around $6 billion, it will take about 5 years, and it can probably be done with materials that should be available in a few years.

First of all, I heard that Space.com has reported on increased solar irradiance. Robin has added a new word to my vocabulary, this week Dennis Prager used it, too. My spell checker flagged it, do I have the spelling right?

As for your Parasol Fix to Climate Change, You should have posted it on a science fiction list Jed. They just spent $100 billion and 20 years to build the ISS. Based on that, just how many trillion $, over how many decades, do you think what your parasol project will cost?

There is no one who would be happier than me to see a space elevator work. If someone can develop a technique for generating continuous carbon nanotubes, then perhaps we could develop a material strong enough to spin the ribbon. Perhaps someone can comment on the strength difference between a continuous nanotube and short nanotubes held together by Van Der Waal's forces, but I'm sure it's significant.

Recently someone posted a Space Elevator idea in which the ribbon was an evacuated tube with an iron strip inside it, now there's a idea for Analog.

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---