Hi Stephen,

>Yeah, I'll probably fiddle around some more with this, just because it
>seems like the "pre-ring" is going the wrong way and I'd like to
>understand why.

That's good. While the scope precludes you from doing any interesting
shock wave experiments ( way too slow ) you can certainly do
some faster-than-light type experiments using lumped constant
transmission lines.

As regards the wire impedence, use a 400ohm carbon film resistor
as your termination. This is good enough for basement work.
When I worked with this I used aluminum foil to make ground
planes, suspending wire above it in whatever form was important.
Google around a bit on the term "time domain reflectometery"
and you'll learn about how to characterize the line more
accurately. But again, the scope is too slow to work
such a small physical structure. BTW, the rule of thumb with aircore xmission
line is 1ns/ft. Easy to remember, and it's always nice
to put the kings feet in there somewhere...

While you're chewing on yesterdays comments, take a few moments
to read that section in Feynmans QED,

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8169.html

where he talks about the photon taking all possible paths from
the sender to the receiver. Strange, huh? Now think about
that experiment you just did and that precursor signal I pointed
out. Not so strange now...

K.