Hi,
[snip]
>That's how many electrostatic machines work such as the Wimshurst.
>
>There are 3 different things, voltage, field strength and charge imbalance,
>in this case the Voltage goes up, however the field strength goes down
>(though is still considerable and covers more area) and the charge imbalance
>obviously remains the same.
>
>It is also possible to increase the electric field density without changing
>the voltage or net charge imbalance by use of a point.
[snip]
If the charge remains constant while the plates are being pulled apart, and the
capacitance if inversely proportional to the separation distance, then the
voltage should be proportional to the separation distance, and consequently the
field strength (Voltage / distance) should be constant.

However it's afternoon, and I may I have goofed once again. :(

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/

Competition provides the motivation,