FWIW here is a half baked idea I already talked about privately with some
people here and elsewhere, with mixed feedback.

Cold fusion, bubble fusion and new energy at large would undoubtedly benefit
from any measure helping the valid claims to emerge out of the erroneous
ones(*).

Such a useful measure IMHO would be a universally recognized reference lab for
energy efficiency measurements, manned by highly skilled people collectively
competent in _all_ types of energy measurements and calculations, more so than
any individual experimenter can be expected to be.

Such a "COP cop" would host the experimenters and their experiments for as long
as poor reproducibility would make it necessary, and would verify the claims
without any preconceived idea. It would use appropriate and rigorous protocols,
with the help and participation of the experimenters and the skeptics alike to
guarantee objectivity. Ideally it would be publicly funded, by the UN maybe
since it would be of interest to mankind at large.

Totally utopic, or workable with a bit more baking? Your thoughts welcome.
--
Michel

(*) More expressive terms may come to mind, pick yours among the following
picturesque collection (obtained from an online dictionary by clicking
"synonyms" on successive words, starting from "hogwash") which I found so
hilarious once put together that I simply couldn't resist sharing it with the
group, my apologies for such childishness and for any omission:

apple souce; balderdash; baloney; bilge; bilgewater; blah; bosh; bosh; bull;
bullshit; buncombe; bunk; bunkum; caput mortuum (???); cheeseparings; clinker;
crap; dandruff; dishwater; ditchwater; dogshit; draff; exuviae; fandangle;
fecula; fiddle-faddle; fiddlesticks; flubdub; flummery; fur; furfur; gaff;
garbage; gibberish; glop; guff; hogwash; hooey; horseshit; humbug; jabberwocky;
kitchen stuff; malarkey; moonshine; morphea; muck; nonsense; off scum;
offscourings; outscourings; piffle; pig swill; pig's wash; pigwash; poppycock;
punk; residuum; rinsings; rot; rubbish; scurf; scurfiness; shit; shucks; slab;
slop; slops; sprue; stuff; stuff and nonsense; sweepings; swill; swillings;
taradiddle; tartar; tomfoolery; tommy rot; tosh; trash; twaddle; useless
refuse; wash; wash dish water