----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Veeder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Re: Lifter aerodynamics

> Yes I mean drag, but there may be other aerodynamic forces to consider.
> Also I don't think the profile is aerodynamic because the boundary is not
> crisp like a fuselage.
>
> Does gf mean g-force? If so that a percentage of the acceleration due to
> gravity or a force as in force = ma ?

Yes, gram force, that's about 1 cN. Yes, thrust is a force.

> The fact that a certain current coincided with lift off does not necessarily
> provide a comprehensive explanation of what makes it go. For example, the
> current drawn by spark plug does not account for the motion of the blade
> on a lawn mower.

Ah but the ion wind force formula is not some empirical formula as you seem to
suggest -I posted Sigmond's derivation-, and it accounts for the measured lift
(=the weight since aerodynamic drag is negligible: you can see on the Excel
screenshot on the Blazelabs page that the wind speed is less than 1m/s =
3.6km/h) within measurement errors. That's enough proof for me, but YMMV.

> Anyway, if an accelerometer were mounted on a lifter the actual dynamic
> forces involved could be estimated more accurately.

You can also measure acceleration on the video (if you can find a way to view
it ;-). And since the mass is known you will find the force via f=ma, a good
exercise indeed.

Michel