[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Michel Jullian wrote:
> I think you're right on this Paul, however you're unnecessarily rude as usual.

That's just your interpretation according to a POV of common social behavior. That's a result of being programmed by society. What you refer to as rudeness I refer to as bluntness with very little attached emotions. On occasion I practice the art of tiptoeing around ones emotions, which is what society refers to as common social skills, but it requires unnecessary time and energy.

> Anyway I don't think that rectifying the hot resistor noise with a diode breaks 2LoT. Does a photovoltaic cell (which is a diode too) break 2LoT when converting the thermal energy radiated by a 6000°C black body to electricity? In both cases there is a cold source somewhere, not everything is at the temperature of the hot source.

You can't just hypothesize that there's a cold reservoir somewhere -- the cold must be necessary to the effect, of course, or it's irrelevant! And in the case of a resistor and diode, it's not obvious how a "cold place" is necessary. What, exactly, must be kept cool in order to obtain energy from the resistor?

Is it the diode?  If so, why?

In general Maxwell's demon tends to run a fever in fall down on the job. In this case it's the diode which is the demon, and I'd guess it's heat in the diode that kills the effect. But I certainly can't prove it.

Come to think of it, considering that a thermocouple is really only three back to back diodes with the center diode at a different temperature from the outer two, I actually feel pretty confident that it's heat in the diode which kills it in this case. (If you thought there was only 1 diode in a thermocouple, ask yourself how the dissimilar materials of the two sides of the thermocouple are attached to the rest of the system.)

Michel, once again there is a vast difference between a law and an interpretation of such a law. If you adhere to a stricter interpretation of the 2nd law then yes, the solar cell breaks such a law. At 300 K a flat 1 x 1 m^2 of material emits 203 nW of radiation between 1600 nm and 400 nm on one side. New technology allows photovoltaic cells to efficiently capture up to 1600 nm wavelengths. The 203 nW is a conservative figure since I did not include ultraviolet photovoltaic cells. How much of that 203 nW depends on the efficiency of the cell. As to how much such a cell will capture is irrelevant. Fact remains that a photovoltaic cell will convert room temperature black body radiation to DC, which could charge a capacitor.

And how much electrical noise energy is the cell converting back into radiation, eh? If everything's at the same temperature you'll most likely find the amount of radiation the cell is generating, as a result of "running backwards", is equal to the amount of radiation it's converting to electricity. You should at least check that possibility carefully before you invest any money in a scheme based on this effect! ;-)

That is storing ambient temperature energy to a capacitor, which will indeed drop the net temperature in the closed system. Understandably even present leading edge photovoltaic cells are highly inefficient at such low radiation levels, but by laws of probability such a photovoltaic cell will generate DC electricity.

The "laws of probability" predict that if you wait long enough you'll fly up into the air because the molecules under your chair will all get together and bump the bottom of your seat at once. That's a violation of the second law, too, and in exactly the same sense.

For that matter you can dispense with the diode, photocell, and everything _except_ the capacitor and a wire, and just wait for random jiggling of the electrons in the wire to charge the capacitor. (You may need to wait quite a while, of course.)

These examples may be hard to reconcile with the second law of thermodynamics but that doesn't make them any less irrelevant. Rectifying Brownian motion has been an "impossible dream" ever since someone first noticed its existence.

Therefore, you'll have to ask yourself if the photovoltaic cell breaks the 2nd law in accordance to your interpretation of such a law. Here's a quote from Wikipedia,

Quote,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_ratchet
---
"This is against the principle of the second law of thermodynamics, which can be stated as 'It is impossible for any device that operates on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work."'
---

A charged capacitor is a source for usable work and can generate heat.

[snip]

Regards,
Paul Lowrance