I so hate to get involved in these types of discussions, but I do have first
hand knowledge on some of what is going on and I will state it, even though
I see already that many will dispute it.

1) Prior to ESS phone systems, the old relay banks did not work well for
covert monitoring. It did require intervention from the phone company that
controlled the switches. It was possible to bridge a line and have it
monitored via another line, yet the best method was to connect to the
physical line and monitor or record it from the pole or a hidden battery
operated system close to the location.

2) ESS second generation allowed for field programming. Field programming
allowed for the input of the telephone number followed by an action code
that performed an operation. The operations ranged from, 'Termination',
'Redirection', or 'Bridging'. All under computer control. Many installers
carried card with the code to do diagnostics such as, 'Impedance',
'Resistance', 'Ring Back' and so forth.

3) It was and I think for sure still possible to connect and set a number
for automatic monitoring, auto recording is standard.

The early systems involved humans to cut into the circuits, from ESS I thru
today it is fully under the control of the computers. The phone companies
will go to the plank and insist it is not possible, yet it was in the 80's
and 90's, so why would it not be so now?

The circuits to open a phone did exist (and maybe still do), but the
monitoring of internal spaces is best handled by internal xmitters which
have and can be passive for some 50 years now.

Gone are the days of needing  battery, and with no-knock, et.,al. the
devices can and are planter with ease.