Hi Terry,

> IMHO, we will only succeed in tying ourselves into unsolvable knots
similar to religious fanaticism if we insist there MUST exist an ABSOLUTE
frame of reference. SR, would seem to suggest there ain't no such animal and
never was - period.

Ah, but that is the key.  SR is not based upon physical observations, but
assumptions.  It's claim that there can be no absolute frame of reference is
therefore just as much a religious fanaticism as any other unfounded
assumption.

OTOH, the Aether Physics Model specifically claims that each subatomic
particle MUST exist in an ABSOLUTE frame of reference ONLY with the quantum
of Aether unit in which it resides.  To put it another way, matter does not
move through space-time, but rather matter is encapsulated by space-time and
space-time moves relative to space-time.  Sounds kind of strange at first,
until you realize that that is exactly how the rest of the fluid Universe
works.

A leaf on a calm day merely rests peacefully upon the surface of a river,
yet the river flows and carries the leaf with it.  The Gulf Stream is a body
of water within the Atlantic Ocean, which moves relative to the Sargasso Sea
and carries all sorts of particles within its fluid.  Dust particles float
aimlessly within the atmosphere, as it flows fluid-like around the planet
relative to other regions of atmosphere.  Is it any surprise that matter
would also float within the sea of Aether, each subatomic particle
encapsulated by its own quantum of space-time?

Here we get both absolute frames of reference and relativity ala Lorentz.
Can't ask for better than that.  There's a little to please everyone, and it
is all based upon empirical constants and data.

> The observation does not make any practical sense if extrapolated to
include all the rest of the Earthly atoms that have not been interacted
with, even though that might seem to be a natural conclusion to draw.

Yet, that is exactly what SR claims.  Each particle is its own observer.
Although, I have often pointed this out as another error in SR theory.  If
40 people watch a collision, does the collision then have 40 times the
energy it otherwise would have had if there were only one observer?
Obviously not.  As you correctly deduce, the only observer of importance is
the one involved in a collision with the moving particle.  But even still,
if a single aluminum nucleus were traveling at the speed of light, and its
mass approached infinity, according to E=mc^2 the amount of energy in the
collision would also be near infinite.  This has not been observed.

> Such Zen koan-like observations invariably raise the legitimate question
as to HOW is it that this extra "mass" can behave in such a fickle manner.
After all - WHO REALLY POSSESSES THE EXTRA MASS!!!! IMHO, the extra "mass"
really doesn't exist per-say, but rather the extra "mass" is simply being
used as an expedient vehicle in order to make the SR equations make sense.
But perhaps I have exceeded my area of expertise on the matter. ;-)

The concept of "extra mass" is meaningless.  Mass is merely a dimension.
Mass is not a substance that can increase or decrease in value of itself.
As an analogy, if we join two ten feet long pipes together, we get twenty
feet of pipe, not twenty feet of length.  The dimension of length did not
increase, but the overall value of the pipes' length increased.  This will
be a sticking point for many people, but if you are interested in the
subtleties of Zen Buddhism, you should have no difficulty grasping the
difference between the dimension of length and the thing it measures.  The
same goes for mass.  There is the dimension of mass, and when it is given a
value, it becomes the measurement of inertia.

Dave