Howdy Paul,
You may try contacting Leupold & Stevens Instrument Company in Beaverton/Portland, Oregon. They do some work in this area with night vision scopes. They are good people.
Richard
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Lowrance" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Diodes capturing Ambient energy - BINGO!

That's an idea. It could be difficult to verify what type of active material the FIR goggles use. I think public night vision goggles use InSb or similar material. The very expensive military night vision goggles use the expensive HgCdTe god material. Not sure, but perhaps the really cheap goggles use photoelectric material? I know the photoelectric effect generates DC voltage caused by temperature *differentials*.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance