Yo Jed, it's not a matter of telling someone how to speak his native language.
The vocabulary of science is meant to allow accurate communication between
scientists, so that e.g. when one says "electrolyzed" or "excess heat" it means
the same thing to everybody.

Now Faraday lived a long time ago, that's true. Words do change over time, but
when they do, traces of such changes usually can be found in recent
dictionaries. Let's pick one at random:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/electrolyze

e·lec·tro·lyze  (-lktr-lz)
tr.v. e·lec·tro·lyzed, e·lec·tro·lyz·ing, e·lec·tro·lyz·es
To cause to decompose by electrolysis.

Short of writing one up yourself, can you find a dictionary where the
definition of 'electrolyze' is so different from the above that it could even
remotely apply to the electrode rather than to the electrolyte? When you
electrolyzed water at school, did you in fact electrolyze platinum? Does your
car drive you?

Someone has attacked me, virulently, not on the merits of my contribution, but
on the way I communicated it with the drama and all. I will reply that all Ed
had to do, instead of replying he didn't see what my problem was, was reach for
a dictionary to see what the hell I could mean, realize his error, and reply
gruffly but honestly "right, my mistake, it's the D2O which is electrolyzed"
and there would have been no drama. That's what I expected him to do, like I
would have expected any scientist, because that's what I would have done in his
place.

Now should scientists criticize each other over scientific communications? I
think so, and I think CF in particular would be in better health if there had
been less leniency towards each other's mistakes.

Michel