Jones Beene wrote:

However, what's not clear to me is what would algoil be doing under equivalent conditions at 9 am in December, when temperatures are hovering around 15 - 25 degrees F, or less.

The prime location for any algae pond and CO2 sytem is adjacent to a regular power plant, where the hot water from cooling the steam generators (waste heat) heats the pond.

As far as I know, all of the present large-plans to grow algae use waste heat and CO2 from power plants. Some pilot plants have been built.

It should be noted that there is a huge amount of waste heat from power generation, so this method could recycle a lot of carbon. As I said before, I expect the photosynthetic efficiency of algae in the artificial environment would be much better than the natural 2%. The waste heat from generators far exceeds the total amount of heat generated by burning coal. See the figure on last page of this document:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/NRELenergyover.pdf

Waste heat from generators is a little less than the 28.1 quads shown here, because that figure transmission and distribution losses (T&D losses). Coal produces 22.7 quads.

I wouldn't know, but I doubt that the overall conversion efficiency of the algae plant can convert more than the equivalent of 5% of the waste heat into biofuel with algae. It is not a direct, one-for-one conversion by any means, but anyway if it is 5%, that would be 1.4 quads. The U.S. uses about 99 quads per year. Transportation uses 26.6 quads, so at 5% conversion, algae biofuel would supply 5% of our transportation fuel, which is way more than corn ethanol would supply if it were an energy supply instead of an energy sink.

This figure illustrates how transportation is by far the least efficient sector. Industrial use of energy is the most efficient sector. Overall, useful energy is 34.3 quads and rejected energy (waste heat, T&D losses and so on) is 57.8 quads. This shows how much leeway there is to save energy with better efficiency. I think efficiency of up to 60% is possible in many major applications, whereas transportation is mired at 20%, not far from where it was when Henry Ford brought out the model T. The overall energy efficiency of electric power generation could be vastly improved by using more cogeneration.

For a big-picture look at energy, see:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/aer.pdf

There is an interesting trend on page xxxv, Fig. 65. "In 1999, transportation sector carbon dioxide emissions overtook industrial sector emissions."