Hi,
[snip]

>Jed wrote:
>
>> In December 2006, Boeing-Spectrolab announced a 40.7% efficient cell
>> that costs $3,000 per kW of capacity. That's remarkable. I did not
>> know these things were so advanced. See:
>
>> http://www.energy.gov/news/4503.htm
>
>Yes, but these are not just the flat panel type photovoltaics
>we are familiar with.  They are little chips a couple of millimeters
>square, requiring concentration of up to 500 suns, and, of course,
>solar tracking.  This is not an insurmountable problem, but it won't
>be just some flat panels slapped out in the desert.
>
>Naturally, I have tried to interest the people at Spectrolab in my
>ultra cheap fresnel lens arrays which would be perfect for this
>application.  Frankly, I can't get arrested with this capability.
[snip]
As has previously been reported on this list, there is a solar power plant being
built here in Oz. They plan to use mirrors to concentrate the light 400-500
times. I checked out the efficiency curve of the cells they use. It turns out
that at their peak they are 35% efficient, at 400-500 suns, however that only
drops off to 33% at about 80 suns. I suspect that if cylindrical Fresnel lenses
could achieve 80 suns, then the total plant cost (and consequently the cost of
power) could be considerably reduced.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/

Competition (capitalism) provides the motivation,
Cooperation (communism) provides the means.