Harry Veeder wrote:

When hydrogen is burned in air, the oxygen in the air combines with hydrogen
to form H2O. Will breathable oxygen decline if we burn too much hydrogen?
I guess this would never be a problem if all the hydrogen burned comes from
the decomposition of H2O into H2 and O2.

But seriously, if everything was powered by burning hydrogen would the
proportion of oxygen in the air gradually decline?

For that matter, has burning hydrocarbons already decreased oxygen
levels?

Just wondering...
Harry

Nice question. I believe the answer is no because plants simply make more oxygen to replace what is used up. Water is cracked in the photosyntheic process so both water and CO2 is recycled. Also carbonic acid in rain reacts with some rocks to release oxygen and break down the rock. That's why some rocks turn rapidly to soil when unearthed. Organic acids also play a large part but oxygen was used up making these acids, so there's no net gain. While inorganic oxygen production is far exceeded by photosynthesis it does exist. There is also geological up take of oxygen in some minerals that are not oxidized when they come to the surface. They then rust absorbing oxygen. Some iron meteorites absorb a lot of oxygen as they burn up, high speed rusting. Chondritc meteorites actually burn they are hydrocarbon rich. There are also significant natural hydrogen releases with some kinds of volcanoes. The gas cycles on this planet are very interesting and quite complex.