Wesley Bruce wrote:

thomas malloy wrote:

Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

http://www.zenncars.com/home/EEStor%20equity%20investment%20April%2030%202007%20FINAL%202.pdf

[snip]

Inc. The negotiated investment terms also grant ZENN an additional investment option of up to US $5 million on the same terms,

It isn't permittivity that's the likely problem, it's the breakdown voltage.

I Searched under EEstor and found an interesting discussion of the technology. The proposed capacitor would store several KW hrs worth of energy, it would be stored at 3.5 KV. Someone calculated that the energy in the charged capacitor would be equivalent to 100 sticks of dynamite. The BaTi dielectric is brittle, and it was noted that this sort of device does not fail gracefully, which is a euphemism for destructive failure.

Given the energies involved, and the mechanical forces which I would assume would be generated in charging the capacitor, I would assume it would be a matter of time before it rapidly disassembles itself, and the car.

But the structure is vitrified ceramic not the dielectric. Its a very hard brick with no voids, the dielectrics break down does not matter. Its also in a solid box that negates any easy penetration. I've corresponded with Dick Weir the principle of EEstor. Its wrapped up very well and the switching means that if one cap goes its isolated to that cap.

Let's do a thought experiment here and we'll see. It would seem to me that the mechanical stresses would eventually weaken the dielectric.

If a fuel tank has the same energy does they mean its as dangerous as dynamite?

IMHO, this is a nonsequetor. The energy in a Mars bar or a gas tank is potential, it lacks the other half, O2, and the flame front of a fuel O2 reaction is slow.

No because the reaction has other variables: flame speed and oxygen supply in the case of fuels. In the case of EEstor caps its the fracture resistance of the ceramic, the percentage of the caps broken in a breach and whether there is a earth available and the temperature of any arc relative to thermal properties of adjacent materials.

It would seem to me that the entire structure would degrade over time with the mechanical stresses of charging - discharging and road vibration. When a spot breaks down there will be a big stress on the surrounding structure. The big factor, IMHO, is the instantaneous release of electrical energy. 3.5 KV is some potent stuff. IMHO, It depends on whether the rest of the energy is a package will flow into this fault.

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---