Jones wrote:
> But Michel, the fact that in crossing the galactic plane recently (in
> cosmological time), there has been no apparent increase in what could be
> considered 'danger' or hazardous debris impacting  earth - doesn't that
> argue against your conclusion?

I don't think so, crossing the galactic plane only increases the _probability_
of a collision, it doesn't make it a certainty. Also the asteroid impact which
eradicated the dinosaurs 65 Myr ago did occur precisely at a galactic plane
crossing: not the one 1Myr ago, nor the previous one 1+32=33 Myr ago, but the
one before 33+32 = 65 Myr ago. In any case, whether it can explain all mass
extinctions or not, and whether it is favored by galactic plane crossings or
not, there is no arguing that asteroid impact is a real danger: it has occurred
before and it will occur again.

The next time it wants to occur it would be nice to have a countermeasure
ready, e.g. what I suggested in my previous post. My guess is that focussing
the reflected sunlight beams from a swarm of space mirrors large enough for GW
mitigation (i.e. able to reflect off 1% of incident sunlight, i.e. collectively
of a total area of 0.01*Pi*(6.4E6)^2=1.3E12 m^2) would be quite enough to
deviate a hefty asteroid from a collision course if it's detected early enough.

Horace wrote:
> I think most of the oscillation is due to the sun's galactic orbit.
> We have a 200 My galactic orbital period, so, given no matter at all
> in the galactic plane, we should be in the galactic plane every 100 My.

This would be right if there was no matter in the GP: the circular orbit would
cross the plane at two points. With the matter there is, the sun bobs up and
down with a 64 Myr periodicity so it crosses the plane roughly 8 times per 250
Myr orbit.

Michel