Hi Horace,

Sorry for the empty reply, my finger slipped.

>> There will be no such delay, that was my point, except of course
>> the subnanosecond speed of light delay for Coulomb forces to act
>> across a few tens of cm, even if it takes 50 milliseconds for the
>> "whatever" to cross the gap so that one might expect 50
>> milliseconds or more would elapse before current comes out the
>> bottom of the pan.

> But that was *my* point.  If threads are in place, there is a
> conductor across the gap, thus the signal should travel fast across
> the gap, not having to wait for insulated drops to carry the signal.

This is not the point I was making. The point I was making was on the contrary
that even if the current is carried by slow drops or ions or whatever which
take ages (milliseconds) to cross the gap, the signal will still cross at the
speed of light (subnanosecond). Let me know if what I wrote previously makes
sense in this light, otherwise I can explain.

Michel