Hi,
[snip]
>Many years ago, before ipods and mp3 players, I had a sony walkman with a
>radio turner.
>I found that if a pocket calculator were switched on and placed on top of
>the walkman I could
>move the tuner's dial to particular frequency and hear a faint
>"thump.......thump.......thump..."
>sort of like a heartbeat. Different calculators generated a similar pattern
>of sounds.
>
>What was going on?
[snip]
Calculators have their own inbuilt "clock" which is a quartz oscillator, and
also divider circuits, so they produce a number of radio frequencies. If the
Walkman is tuned to a frequency close to one of those generated by the
calculator, then a slow difference frequency will be generated which could be
the thump-thump sound.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.