From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:49 AM
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Steorn will demonstrate the Orbo in ~ a few days

Esa Ruoho quoted Sean McCarthy, chief executive of Steorn:

>"Obviously Steorn and Sean McCarthy would never recover if there is
>a negative result here. But we don't see that as even an outside
>possibility . . ."

That is the WORST POSSIBLE THING to say before a demonstration!!! As
I pointed out the other day, and Steven Johnson reiterated, you
should NEVER stake your credibility on a single demonstration. Before
you begin, you tell the audience something along these lines:

"Remember folks, this is an experimental prototype, and it may not
work. It worked back in the lab, and we tested it an hour ago before
the trade show opened, so we are pretty confident it will work now,
but you never can tell . . ."

Then -- as I said before -- after you extinguish the fire in the
power supplies, you put on your best smile, keep your cool and say:

"Okay, let's turn to the PowerPoint slides and this nifty video we
made of a successful demonstration last week. We'll come back to this
after Charlie here installs new power supplies . . ." [You chuckle
and give Charlie an attaboy pat on the shoulder, even though you
would like to kick him for not checking the power supplies.]

The fate of an experiment, a scientific claim, or a company should
never ride on a single make-or-break demonstration. It should always
be spread out over hundreds of demonstrations, performed over many
months with many different audiences. Expectations must be kept in
check, and the tone of the demonstration must be low key, and matter
of fact. When it fails, you show the audience that you can take that
in stride, and you know how to fix the problem.