A 6.8 magnitude earthquake occurred in Niigata, Japan today. The epicenter was in the Sea of Japan (which I think the Koreans call the Sea of Korea). The earthquake damaged the Kashiwazaki nuclear power plant facility. The nuclear reactor shut down automatically, but the damage caused a fire in the electrical transformer used to power the plant, which burned for two hours. Initially the Japanese government and the local power company reported there was no leakage of radioactive material, but CNN now says 315 gallons of slightly radioactive water leaked from the plant and the water is "believed" to have flushed into the Sea of Japan. See:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/16/japan.quake.ap/index.html

This is the world's largest nuclear power reactor complex 8,212 MW. What it is doing in the middle of nowhere in Niigata I cannot guess.

For the past several months, Japanese reactor plant operators and government agencies have been caught in one of the worst scandals in recent decades. They have covered up many serious reactor accidents and radioactive leaks. Before that, they cover up the extent of the fire at the Monju breeder reactor, and the details of the Tokaimura nuclear accident, which was caused by such extraordinary incompetence -- such infuriating imbecility -- I would not have believed it possible in any first world nation.

Given this track record, I would say that Japanese reactor operators have zero credibility and I would not be surprised to learn that hundreds of gallons of highly radioactive water were released into the grounds of the reactor and have now soaked into the surrounding communities. Unfortunately, most Japanese reporters are wusses, so we may never know.