From: Michel Jullian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 5:25 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:Re: Splitting the Positive

Ron, are you sure there was only one relay? With two relays and an inductor
it's quite easy to make a step up (boost) switchmode converter, use the
first relay as a switch to ground to ramp up the current in the inductor and
the second relay as a rectifier (open it in the phases where a rectifier
wouldn't conduct).

Mmm, there is another possibility, use an electrolytic capacitor as the
rectifier: it behaves as a capacitor with an antiparallel rectifier. One
relay, one C, one L, yep it should work, nice trick. If it's what I think,
the positive terminal of the capacitor (= the cathode of the diode, if
indeed it was an electrolytic) was connected to the load battery, and its
negative end (the anode of the diode) to the switch (whose other end goes to
ground) and to the inductor (whose other end goes to the source battery).

Michel