Gnorts, Vorts,

This article in the NY Times (you have to be registered but it's worth it)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/world/asia/28water.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th
 is all about the growing water crisis in China because of their enormous
economic expansion. The general water table is dropping by three feet a year.
Extraction for industrial expansion is part of the reason but it is also their
self sufficiency in grain, which demands "winter wheat" crops which are sucking
the country dry. In Jed's e-book
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf  he suggests that the
bulk of agriculture in the future will be in enclosed multi level "factories"
which will be massively more efficient in use of water etc. I cannot see any
other way that this current China crisis can be averted without a new abundant
energy source. Near the end of the NYT article they say that the Chinese are
considering massively expanding urbanisation because such areas use less water
than agricultural areas? Seems mad to me, particularly if it leads to the
Chinese having to buy their grain on the world market, which just might be a
problem for the rest of us...