On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Harry Veeder wrote:

> You don't care about the earth ground, if you have already made up your mind
> that a conventional explanation is good enough.

Now hold on right there.

All of us on vortex are SUPPOSED to assume that it's a conventional
effect.  If we did not, then we'd become true crackpots:  the kind who are
so in love with Weird Discoveries that we stop questioning our own
assumptions, stop critiquing our own work, and become hostile and
defensive if anyone else dares point out its flaws.

We're all very human, and it's far too easy to fall into a huge ego trap.
This is the "inventors disease" where we decide that we've made a great
discovery which will bring fame and fortune.  And then we start ignoring
all evidence that our discovery is odd but conventional.  To avoid this
"ego-inflation disease," we simply have to be ruthlessly self-critical.
(And that's what separates science from all other diciplines: we carefully
criticize our own ideas, as opposed to defending them from all attack.)

True skepticism is the way to go, and it's all about self-criticism. In
other words, assume that your "great discovery" is actually something
conventional, and then investigate it very carefully to see if this is
actually the case.  The goal is to avoid self-delusion by puncturing the
egoistic fantasies of fame and fortune.  It's the only way to see the
outside world with any accuracy.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci