From: Jones Beene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:33:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:NEW IPCC report was: Economic models

--- Edmund Storms  wrote:

> Actually, using CO2 from burning coal to make
biofuel is not carbon neutral unless the resulting
biomass is never burned.

Well it does substitute for OPEC oil, if that is the
bottom line - but if you want to get extremely
precise, then you must admit that if biofuel, made
from CO2-fed algae in round one, is then burned in the
second round in the same kind of situation where the
exhaust is also recycled to make more biofuel, ad
infinitum, then long-term neutrality could attach.

One could envision a smalled capacity grid-plant
situated on a flooded desert, out there in the wilds
of New Mexico, where the CO2 is looped over-and-over
with algae, for carbon neutrality, or close to it,
over time

- but - returning to the issue of practical solutions,
even if we get only one generation of neutrality -
then  that is superior to the present state of
affairs, no?

We need to eliminate carbon as a longer term goal
ABSOLUTELY true, no argument there, but we also need
practical stopgap measure that can "buy time" (perhaps
time for your LENR breakthrough ;-) ...

...and at the same time eliminate the sword of OPEC
hanging over our collective necks.

Jones