On Jan 11, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

Eventually, it reaches the speed of light, and this happens before
the radius of the nucleus is reached. The latter is Mills' ultimate
barrier to
shrinkage. Furthermore shrinkage is not possible under EM radiation
(and hence
can't be spontaneous).

OK, this I think I understand because the velocity and thus
acceleration remain bounded while the mass and thus centrifugal force
must increase upon taking on more energy, thus the radius must

There is no "extra" energy, only conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy (analogous to the conversion of gravitational potential energy into
kinetic energy as a satellite reenters the Earth's atmosphere).

increase to accommodate the extra energy, and thus more energy can
not be obtained from further radius shrinkage.

No, as potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, the velocity increases (while the radius decreases), which according to Einstein should result in a mass increase as the speed of light is approached, something which I *think* Mills tends to sweep under the rug a bit (or perhaps I haven't studied his work closely enough). In my own version of his theory, this is explicitly taken into account. I.e. the total change in energy of the system is properly accounted for
(including change in mass)

I only have a brief time to respond so I'll extract just this portion for now.

I think you misunderstand my point. As the orbital shrinks, at some point the velocity becomes very near c. It can't appreciably increase any more. The radius can't shrink any more. At this point the mass goes up significantly with incremental kinetic energy, yet the velocity remains constant, i.e. bounded by c, so the radius must *increase* due to the increased mass and thus centrifugal force, not decrease. At this point there is thus no more energy to be had from orbital shrinkage.

For a first cut approximation to an energy neutral (binding energy about equal to gained kinetic energy, thus no borrowed energy required to make state feasible) relativistic orbital, a possible candidate for a deflated state hydrogen, see:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/FusionSpreadDualRel.pdf

which involves an electron gamma over 10,000 and speed of 2.99792e+8 m/s. The electron and deuteron in this instance have about the same mass and orbit each other. The huge binding energy comes almost entirely from magnetic binding.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/