--- OrionWorks wrote:

> The Kiplinger Letter's recent comments regarding 100
bb'o'crude reserves stashed away under ND certainly
caught my eye. I'm puzzled over the fact that I do not
personally recall anyone in the Vortex list ever
mentioning the existence of this potential
natural resource ...

Well, there are two things going on in this report,
and one of them is thinly disguised political
"spin"...

>From a quick googling -- it looks to me like Kiplinger
is talking about the Williston Basin.

But first - we need to realize that Kiplinger has a
political agenda, which they try very hard to keep
under wraps; but obviously being "pro-business" often
means being "pro-big-oil" and "pro-status-quo" and so
on ...

Many here, of either political persuasion, might
prefer that they be ONLY "pro-business" (small to
medium sized business) without being "pro-big-oil"
since most small businesses are harmed by high oil
costs.

That too is another spin but anyway ....

Part of this oil field has been in production for over
50 years, so it is not a "new discovery". It is deep
oil, from one to 1.5 miles deep; and at $20 barrel it
is too costly to extract or even to get a good idea of
how much is there; but now at five times the price,
almost any oil, no matter how deep, can be exploited
profitably.

It is very likely that they have simply increased the
estimates on how much is recoverable at $100/ barrel.

Was the estimate scientific or not? IOW there is
nothing here new except new spin on an old story ...
or is there something I am missing ?

BTW- it is very much in the interest of those who wish
to maintain the status quo politically- to make
calming and unprovable claims in order to ease the
fears of voters about looming problems. Fearful voters
favor change.

That kind of politically motivated spin has some
bearing on the truthfulness of the new estimates.
Where exactly did the estimates come from is one
question? (did it originate or was it influenced by
the White House or not?)

We will probably see more such talk (i.e. that "all is
well")coming from any candidate in any race - who
wishes to convince voters that "staying the course" of
the present administration is preferable to change.

Convincing voters that we do not face huge problems
with energy is part of that tactic. There are many
reasons to hide the fact that (alluded to in Jack's
recent post) that we are in Iraq primarily to secure
the oil, and that the invasion has nothing to do with
"war on terrorism".

If we wanted a real war on terror we would invade
Saudi Arabia. Isn't that where all of the 9/11
hijackers came from?

Jones