--- On Mon, 4/14/08, Terry Blanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gnorts, Vorts!
>
> Even though Betamax was superior to VHS in many ways, the
> economic
> advantage of the VHS transport mechanism beat out the
> superior quality
> of Betamax.
>
> With the announcement by Blockbuster that it would only
> stock Blu-ray
> HD vids, Toshiba and Microsoft's HD DVD was history.
> Indeed, the
> price of those DVD's and players have plummeted.
>
> Not so for the Blu-ray players.  Buy-in still runs in the
> $400 range
> with a $378 lowest price seen at Walmart.  AND if you
> bought-in too
> early, you probably need a s/w or firmware upgrade in order
> to take
> advantage of the latest indexing of Blu-ray media.
>
> This shopper hit the web for advice and found the answer
> at, of
> course, Sony.  You can buy the 40 GByte PS3 with a built-in
> superb
> Blu-ray capability for $399 and it even includes a WS
> Blu-ray version
> of Spidey III.
>
> And get this, not only do you get a game for free; but, I
> set it up on
> my wireless home LAN and it automatically updated the
> Blu-ray player
> (and game) to the current version.
>
> Oh, and in the words of K, "I guess I'll have to
> buy the White album
> again."  My first vid purchase (other than Spidey) was
> Sir Clarke's
> 2001 in WS Blu-ray.
>
> Terry
>
> PS (pun?) In order to use a standard style remote instead
> of the game
> remote, you have to buy the Bluetooth Sony remote since the
> PS3 does
> not accept the standard universal remote.

I really hate to see Sony prevail on this.  To me Sony just represents
"incompatability with everything".  I avoid them whenever possible.  The
decline in prices for Blu-ray equipment is likely not going to be as rapid as
we have come to expect for electronic stuff.  One reason is now Sony has a lock
on the market.  The other reason is those 405nm lasers aren't so cheap to make
yet and represent a disproportionate part of the manufacturing cost.

M.

Be a better friend, newshound, and