Nick Palmer wrote:
I think it was Steven who wrote about the "sophistry" of the argument about why food prices were rising (due to the diversion of corn production into making ethanol biofuel). In today's technology review http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/20641/ they are looking at the problems that the American rush to ethanol has caused. It appears as if only one third of the price rise is due to this however... <<Some analysts, such as C. Ford Runge, a professor of applied economics and law at the University of Minnesota, say that the use of corn for fuel rather than food could account for about one-third of the rise in prices worldwide. The other two-thirds is split between the effects of weather and increases in demand, he says. (Runge presents his argument in "How Biofuels Could Starve the Poor," >>

Interesting. From what I'd read elsewhere I would have expected that the main factor was the rise in the price of oil. I wonder about his claim that the big effects are weather and demand -- or perhaps he's attributing the oil price rise to rising "demand" as well?

In any case, 1/3 of the increase is still a big issue. Look again at the price of rice: Up 147% in a year, according to the Wall Street Journal. If 1/3 of that rise is due to diversion of arable land to make biofuel, then biofuel production, alone, is responsible for a 49% increase in the price of rice over the past year. That extra 49% is a major problem for people who already can't afford enough food.

The statement about the weather is interesting, as weather and biofuel production would both have the same effect, which is to decrease world grain production. I ran across a note in LeMonde the other day which bears on this. It seems that, during the past couple years, world cereal production has actually **DROPPED** (while world population has continued to increase, of course):

La FAO relève également une légère baisse de la production céréalière mondiale. Après avoir atteint un pic en 2004, celle-ci a baissé respectivement de 1 % et 2 % en 2005 et 2006. La production des huit principaux pays exportateurs de céréales, qui assurent près de la moitié du volume mondial, a chuté de 4 % et 7 % sur la même période.
Rough translation:

" The FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N.) notes that there has been a slight drop in cereal production worldwide. After reaching a peak in 2004, it has dropped by 1% and 2% in 2005 and 2006, respectively. The production of the eight principle cereal exporting countries, which provide nearly half the world volume, has fallen between 4% and 7% during the same period."

So, food apparently isn't *just* getting more expensive, as one might expect if a jump in the price of a raw material (oil) were solely to blame -- it's getting scarcer, as well.