Hi,
[snip]
>The whole point of the exercise is that we seem to have reached the
>world peak in oil production, and supply cannot be increased, due to
>lack of resources.
[snip]
I think a better definition of the "oil peak" is that it is the peak that would
occur if left to economic forces. It doesn't necessarily mean that production
can't be increased in the short term at the cost of the long term. Since there
is still oil in the ground, it can be extracted more rapidly if we have the will
to do so, but then it will simply run out sooner.

What will happen fairly soon, is sharp reduction in new exploration wells, as
oil companies finally get it through their heads that the number of new
discoveries is so low that it isn't worth the cost of drilling hundreds of dry
wells just to find one producing well.

IOW rather than a divergent supply and demand curve, you will see a rising
production curve that matches demand, then suddenly goes over a cliff, and drops
to zero. By analogy, look at world fish stocks.

In fact I think that rising prices will probably bring this about. IOW supply
will continue to meet demand, until such time as the supply suddenly ceases
altogether. Of course long before then it will have become so expensive that
demand will have been reduced, partially due to millions of people having died
of hunger.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.