Hi,
[snip]
>No it wouldn't be, but even with my limited QM skills, I know that fortunately
>you don't have to get that close for nuclear fusion. Nucleus is fm scale
>(10^-15 m), but its De Broglie wavelength (roughly the distance at which
>tunneling can start occurring) at even room temperature thermal energy is
>quite sizeable, 0.78 Å IIRC, about 100000 times larger, and even more at
>higher energies of course.

Actually De Broglie wavelengths *decrease* with energy. (momentum is in the
denominator).

>So an impinging deuteron getting only as close as say 0.5 Å from the desorbing
>deuteron would have good chances to tunnel to it and fuse I think, correct me
>someone if I am wrong.

The chances are a lot less than "good". What you need is a means of keeping them
in close proximity for extended periods.
e.g. the fusion half-life of D2 (with a separation distance of about 0.7
Angstrom is > 1E80 years. However this decreases insanely with separation
distance. A decrease in distance by about a factor of 10-20 should be enough to
reduce it to the point where fusion would be a practical energy source.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.