Hi,
[snip]
>Jones,
>
>After reading the rather poor description on the website, I think this
>is only a way to provide chemical heat by converting UH6 to U3O8. No
>nuclear reaction is involved or possible. As they say, it is like a
>battery that provides energy for a limited time.
[snip]
See their FAQ:-

"How does Hyperion work?
Unlike conventional designs, the proposed reactor is self-regulating through the
inherent properties of uranium hydride, which serves as a combination fuel and
moderator. The temperature-driven mobility of the hydrogen contained in the
hydride controls the nuclear activity. If the core temperature increases over
the set point, the hydrogen is driven out of the core, the moderation drops, and
the power production decreases. If the temperature drops, the hydrogen returns
and the process is reversed. Thus the design is inherently fail-safe and will
require minimal human oversight. The compact nature and inherent safety open the
possibility for low-cost mass production and operation of the reactors."

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.