On Jun 12, 2008, at 8:20 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

--- Horace

Antimatter has ordinary charge, creates ordinary
photons, interacts with magnetic fields ....

...out of curiosity, assuming that the photons from
antimatter, even if ordinary, would be polarized
differently - what about mirror matter photons? You
mention "symmetry is conserved" but I wonder if that
goes to every detail?

Symmetry has historically proven to a good guide to what to expect from nature. It may be present even when it can't be seen right off.

You probably know about "Jones calculus"? (no
relation, and new to me ;-)

Not part of my experience, nor is Mueller calculus.

Before stumbling on it, I
had no idea that photons were so complex... but the
implications are many - there may be a statistical
ways in the future (or now) to determine, from a study
of photon emission, if a star (more likely a whole
galaxy) is composed of antimatter.

... maybe mirror matter has distinctive photons?

Yes, so distinctive we can't see them. They don't interact with ordinary matter - except there may be a very very small coupling. However, in a mirror world they act to a mirror matter scientists in exactly the same way they do for us.

or
have you answered that before? Every time you mention
mirror matter, I get this vague and uneasy sense of
deja vu... Makes the head spin.

Keep in mind that polarization is not the same as spin. Also, I gather making a head polarized is not necessarily a good thing. 8^)

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/