On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
behavior of the stock market and the government. The bigger question,
is what does an individual do to protect themselves from this growing
irrationally?
[snip]
Rational behaviour is a luxury. Irrational behaviour based upon fear is a part of human basic instinct. Fear arises when people perceive their existence threatened. The "cure" is to ensure that it is less threatened, by improving the quality of life. This will flow automatically from the introduction of a
sustainable economy based upon sustainable energy.
That's where we come in.

I agree, Robin. The problem is having an irrational society make rational choices that would reduce the fear. This same problem confronts every individual in a society. The greater the fear a person has, the greater the chance they will make an irrational decision. I think Obama is right when he observed that in the time of fear, people tend to turn to religion, i. e. God, to protect them. While this can be beneficial in reducing fear, a problem is created when the power structure uses this attitude to gain more power. That is what got Bush elected the second time and is being used to get McCain elected this time. In other words, the greater the faith in God, the greater the susceptibility to manipulation. This is where the level of rationally becomes important. If the level of faith in religion is high, the possibility of an irrational decision is high. Unfortunately, I don't think we will solve the energy problem in time to reduce the fear to sustainable levels. Too many people are benefiting from the fear and too many people are out to generate more.

Ed

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>