On Sep 6, 2008, at 12:54 PM, OrionWorks wrote:

Hi Horace,

From Horace,

It takes a while to register these three photos for toggling, but the
movement of some of this stuff over this 5 minute period is
extraordinary because it is gradual across the three frames, and is
not due to the change of focus that occurs between the 3 frames.
All the frames were illuminated in green.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=29352&cID=274
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=29361&cID=274
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=29376&cID=274

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/

I'm puzzled. I've toggled through these three photos numerous times,
and what I personally see is NASA attempting to get better more
focused images of the martian granules. Any "movement" I perceive is a
deliberate but gradual change in focal length from the lander's
camera, that along with a slight change in the angle of the camera.
The martian granules themselves, however, do not appear to have moved
and/or changed, insofar as I can see.

Can you clarify?

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks

Yes. Consider just the very center of the 2nd two photos, 29361 and 29376 above (the first photo, 29352 is pretty far out of focus). There is a bunch of stuff that moves to the left and also rotates. This is *not* due to a change of focus, because background stuff gets exposed and and some covered up by the motion. Following are two snippets that can be played as a slideshow to get a feel for the motion and what the object looks like:

<<inline: Picture 3.png>>

<<inline: Picture 4.png>>