Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
>
>> There is *NO* *MENTION* of a "voter verified" paper record.  There is
>> *NO* requirement that the voter be allowed to *see* the paper record
>> indicating how they voted.
>
> The link you point is the 2002 law. Do you mean the replacement S.3212,
> "Bipartisan Electronic Voting Reform Act of 2008."

No, I'm just out of touch with the times.

HAVA came up in a recent news story about problems with newly purchased
voting machines, so I chased it down, and that page was what I found.  I
totally overlooked S.3212.  (Ah, well, if nobody ever pointed out my
bloopers I'd never learn anything.)

> VerifiedVoting.org
> opposes it for the reasons you point out, and some other:
>
> http://www.verifiedvotingfoundation.org/article.php?id=6603
>
> "1. S.3212 allows "independent" vote records that would exist only in
> computer memory to be used to verify electronic vote totals.

Yow!  That sounds even worse than HAVA-2002!  We're moving backward, not
forward!

At least HAVA required a piece of paper be generated on the spot, so you
couldn't play games with the results after the fact -- any messing
around had to be done onsite in the voting machines.

> 2. The non-paper verification methods allowed by S. 3212 would increase
> the costs and burdens of conducting elections without the benefit of
> increased confidence and auditability.
>
> 3. Language in the bill would exempt from any verification requirement
> those paperless voting systems purchased before January 1, 2009 to meet
> HAVA's accessibility requirements. This would leave millions of voters
> (particularly those with disabilities) dependent on insecure paperless
> electronic machines for the foreseeable future.
>
> 4. S. 3212 is opaque and disturbingly open to interpretation on a
> critical question: would the bill require that it be the voter that
> verifies the contents of the independent record?  . . . "
>
> Fortunately, Verified Voting and other grassroots organizations have
> developed considerable political clout. They have been strongly
> supported by the New York Times and other establishment organizations. I
> predict that national voting machine reform will pass soon and it will
> be along the lines that they specify. Many states have already reformed,
> and decertified some of the worst voting machines. Unfortunately,
> Georgia is not among them.

I sure hope you're right about the clout they have, and the impending
voting machine reform.  The fact that S.3212 has even looser auditing
requirements than HAVA-2002 isn't encouraging, tho.

"Help us, Verified-Kanobi! You're our only hope!"