on 14/9/08 4:19 pm, Stephen A. Lawrence at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Harry Veeder wrote:
>> on 14/9/08 8:25 am, Stephen A. Lawrence at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Yes, for sure, aether theory is totally different from Newton's particle
>>> theory.  Aether theory was, if I understand this correctly, conceived to
>>> explain the wave nature of light, which was known at that time --
>>> diffraction and interference are hard to explain with particles.
>>
>> It is hard to explain with particles possessing the property of inertia,
>> which was considered mandatory for all particles to possess in the late 19th
>> century.  However, if inertia is some sort of electromagnetic effect rather
>> than a fundamental property it becomes easier to see how such particles
>> could produce wave-like effects. What I am suggesting is that classical
>> electromagentic waves could be reimagined as being roughly analoguous to
>> Debrogile's pilot waves.
>>

>>> QM
>>> does it, but QM came much later, of course.

>>> It's hard to come up with a one-way lightspeed measurement which doesn't
>>> require TWLS=OWLS to get its result.  The problem is that for OWLS you
>>> need to have spatially separated synchronized clocks; how do you sync
>>> them up to start with?
>>
>> You don't have to.
>
> I think you do; otherwise how can you know how long the pulse took to
> arrive at the target?  You know when it started, according to A; you
> know when it arrived, according to B.  But A and B have two different
> clocks -- they must, because they're not in the same place, and one
> clock can only be in one location at a time.
>
> You may argue that it's trivial to synchronize their clocks, but I don't
> think you can really argue that it's completely unnecessary.
>

>> The problem of synchronsization arises only when one
>> assumes that special relativity is correct *before* the experiment is
>> performed. A one-way test of absolute of motion should begin with the
>> assumption that absolute time is correct.
>
> But even if it is correct, how do you set all clocks to the "absolute
> standard"?  What do you use for a time distribution network?
>
> Remember, you're trying to *measure* OWLS here, so you can't assume
> anything about the reversibility of paths before the experiment.
>
> You can start with colocated synchronized clocks and then separate them,
> but if you're not careful you'll find that you're *assuming* SR is
> invalid before the experiment, which is just as bad as *assuming* it's
> valid!

You only have to know that the pulses depart at the same time and travel the
same distance and to note the difference (if any) in their arrival times.
Synchronization of clocks is necessary only if you wanted to know the total
travel time of each pulse.

>> Even if c is found to be constant
>> then you might conclude that absolute space is invalid, but the result does
>> necessarily invalidate absolute time.
>>
>>> The approach I'm aware of which should work is "slow transport" -- you
>>> colocate the clocks and sync them, and then you move them *slowly*
>>> apart, preferably moving them simultaneously in opposite directions.
>>> This should work if you're either in an inertial frame (which is to say,
>>> somewhere out in space, not in orbit around anything) or if you start on
>>> the equator and move one clock directly north and the other directly south.
>>
>> I am thinking of something even more straightforward.
>> Imagine you are standing x feet from a highway sign with a laser pointer.
>> Your friend is in car moving past you at v feet/sec also with a laser
>> pointer.
>> At the moment he passes you, you both "fire" your laser at the sign.
>> He aims for the left side of the sign and you aim for the right side.
>> Will his laser reach the sign first or will they both arrive at the same
>> time? Surely such fine time measurements are now technically possible.
>
> I'm not so sure.  The difference -- if there is a difference -- is going
> to be mighty small.  And you have the problem of knowing *when* the
> pulses were fired, according to a stationary clock located by the
> highway sign -- somehow, you still need to synchronize the clock in the
> car with the one on the ground.

True, but for the sake of argument let us suppose the clock in the car and
the clock on the ground can be situated as close together as we wish so that
the problem of clock synchrozination is essentially eliminated.

I'll adress the rest of your discussion in my next post.

harry