I am not sure it will be able to swallow the Apple all at once but it
looks quite nice, see:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIHeIRRDow

where Andy Rubin, chief of Mobile at Google, creator of Android,
demoes it to a BBC interviewer on an unmasked touch screen phone
(probably an early version of the HTC Dream).

Unfortunately it lacks the iPhone's gorgeous multitouch feature and
associated magical two-finger stretching/pinching zoom commands, so
things such as web and photo browsing may not be quite as practical.
OTOH the HTC Dream is said to feature a real keyboard sliding out from
under the screen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone's
on-screen virtual keyboard turned out to be a better experience
overall, if only because punctuation, figures and accented characters
are much easier to access.

Michel