Edmund Storms wrote:
> Jed, do you still think these flaws were accidental, a result of
> incompetence, or just sloppy design?  Do you think the Republicans are
> not out to steal the election if they could?

Indeed.

There was a lot of noise on the Internet after the 2004 election about
the opscan machines in Florida, but it was all misdirection.  If you
don't know what I'm talking about, read on.  (If you've heard all this
before, stop right here, this is four year old news.)

Statistics can reveal connections but not causes, and the connection was
that the right-wing northern Florida counties used opscan machines in
2004, while the left-wing southern Florida counties used Diebold E-touch
machines.  In northern Florida it's common to register as a Democrat and
then vote Republican in the presidential race.  That behavior correlated
very closely with use of the opscan machines and made it look, for all
the world, like somebody cheated when the votes were tallied.  What
wasn't obvious without a lot of work is that the weird voting patterns
predated the use of opscan and E-touch machines, and so couldn't have
been caused by them; the selective use of opscan machines, and the weird
voting patterns, were both correlated with a third factor, which was
demographic.  That same strange voting pattern existed in other southern
states, and had existed in those areas for at least a couple of
elections before 2004 (and apparently existed clear back to the
Reconstruction era, which is what it apparently stems from).

** HOWEVER ** all the heat generated by the apparent (but seemingly not
real) hanky-panky with the opscan machines obscured something important:
 The strange skew in voting patterns between northern and southern
Florida was not only natural, but should have been *larger* than it was.
 The southern Florida counties, which vote democratic, and which used
E-touch machines, went *just* *a* *little* less democratic in 2004, for
no apparent reason.  When all known factors were eliminated, something
still remained, which makes one wonder.  Here's a summary news story on
a multivariate analysis done on the southern Florida voting patterns:

http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/policy/story/0,10801,97614,00.html

http://tinyurl.com/5zhbj

I don't have a link to the actual paper, nor do I know where it was
published; all I've read are news stories in the popular press, so I
can't comment on how airtight their analysis was.

My own analysis of northern Florida voting patterns, over which I slaved
for an enormous number of hours before concluding that the null
hypothesis was the correct one regarding opscan voting machine fraud,
may be found here (I'm sure I've posted this link here before, but that
was a long time ago):

http://physicsinsights.org/elec04.html

I only wish it hadn't taken me so long to catch onto the "Dixiecrat"
factor, since it appears that the grand theft of votes actually took
place in areas where I didn't look, because I wasted too much time
looking where there weren't any woozles.  (Any kind of careful analysis
of this sort of thing takes a horrible amount of time to perform, or at
any rate that's how I find it to be.)