----- Original Message ----- From: Jones Beene
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Banking on BLP?

Mike

MC: Helium is *not* a catalyst, it happens to be a chemically inactive good heat
transfer medium. He+ is a catalyst, ionized by electric fields in some
experiments. The DSC is a sophisticated Calvet calorimeter system which does
not ionize He.

'Chemically inactive' is FAR from a resistance to ionization. It is naive to think that He can remain non-ionized in the presence of a strongly ionic solute like NaH. The NaH provides the electric field.

For instance, water is not strongly ionic but becomes easily ionized in proximity any weak acid of base. There is no reason to suggest that Helium, while it would be more resistant to transient ionization than water - can remain locally non-ionized when NaH is in proximity, which would have near-fields in excess of the 54.4 eV on a transient timescale.

There is no doubt in my mind that He is an active catalyst in the situation mentioned, and I am pretty sure that Mills would not object to that characterization.

MC: Jones, you have a point. There are two contexts. The one I was referring to is the DSC scan of Fig 7, in which NaH is first solid and then undergoes an endothermic transition, possibly to a vapor phase. At a higher tempoerature it becomes strongy exothermic. He is present as a heat transfer medium. In the exothermic reaction, He may become ionized and catalyze some of the H in NaH, but if the NaH is itself reacting, the catalyst is more prbably the Na.

MC: Much to puzzle over.

Mike Carrell

Jones

This Email has been scanned for all viruses by Medford Leas I.T. Department.