John dead I'm so sad. When did this happen? It's been so much time since the
early days of vo. What happened to Fred Sparber?

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas malloy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03 November 2008 11:12
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:BEI brain electrode interface

60 minutes just did a segment on a brain to electrode interface, BEI.
The late John Scheurner, whom I met on Vortex, worked on the first
prototypes of the BEI. A scientist, paralyzed by ALS, was shown
communicating by typing out messages.

The first model was a cap with electrodes, the reporter put it on and a
technician put conducting jell between the electrodes and the scalp.

Then they showed a later model which is implanted in the brain. I had
the same idea, but I decided that I didn't need another hole in my head.

OTOH, if we could come up with a design where the skin were closed over
the hole and the electrode just touched it.

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! --
http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---